At this point, I’d imagine that most people are finding it difficult to keep up with the constantly changing circumstances surrounding the Trump / Russian scandal. Here is a quick and easy to understand breakdown of the events leading up to last evening’s newest revelation.
1) Throughout early summer of 2016, there were numerous reports surfacing that the Democratic National Committee email system had been hacked and the content of those emails were provided to WikiLeaks by a Russian hacker by the name of Guccifer 2.0.
2) In July of 2016, while attending a campaign event in Florida, Donald Trump stood before a crowd of supporters and gleefully discussed the recent hacking of the DNC email system. Trump also (in a half joking way) asked the Russians to hack the email of Hillary Clinton: “Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing. I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press.” – Donald Trump
3) Throughout late summer/early fall of 2016, several Clinton staff had their emails hacked and released to the public by WikiLeaks.
4) On October 7, 2016, almost exactly one month until the U.S. Presidential election, 17 U.S. military and civilian intelligence agencies all issued a joint statement indicating that the Russian government directed the recent compromise of the DNC and Clinton staffer emails. The statement also indicated that Russian citizens were also attempting to gain entrance into state ballot systems (where vote are counted).
5) Mid-late October 2016, there were several reports of fake news stories surfacing which were attributed to Russian intelligence services and other organizations which would eventually be linked to Donald Trump through Robert Mercer’s Cambridge Analytics. You can read more about that in our previous post: “The Battle of The Wealthy Elite”
6) In November of 2016, Donald Trump was elected President.
7) February of 2017, National Security Advisor Michael Flynn was forced to resign his position after it was discovered that he had failed to report income from the Russian state owned TV channel RT News, and that he also failed to report meetings with Russian officials as part of his government disclosure reports.
8) March of 2016, Attorney General Jeff Sessions, while testifying before Congress claimed that he had no contact with any Russian officials. Weeks later this was proven to be a lie and Sessions was forced to acknowledge that he actually did have contact with Russian officials which he also failed to disclose on government disclosure reports.
9) April of 2017, Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner, while seeking top secret security clearance, failed to report dozens of contacts he had with Russian officials before and after the election. Kushner, like Flynn and Sessions, also said he forgot to include this information on his disclosure forms.
Fast-forward to yesterday evening where news broke that yet again, Jared Kushner failed to disclose even more details about his meetings with Russian officials. This was after Kushner’s first laps of memory where he failed to disclose his contacts with the Russians in April.
But that’s not all. Recently, there have been more government leaks from intelligence officials who – whether you agree with them or not – believe they are doing the right thing in order to protect the integrity of our nation. For whatever reason, these officials view the current Trump administration as a threat to American democracy. They feel this way because they are privy to information that the rest of us don’t have access to. So basically, they know what truly happened between the Trump administration and the Russians. They know this because they routinely monitory calls and communications of foreign government officials and, in doing so, intercepted calls between Trump officials and Russians. So, whatever information they have, this knowledge is prompting them to take action and leak information to the press.
Yesterday’s leak involved Kushner’s conversation with a Russian official where he suggested that the Russians, along with the Trump administration, open a back channel of communication. Basically, he wanted to establish a secret way to communicate with Russia. Coincidentally, the Washington Post reported in April that they received information that a secret meeting did take place in January where former Blackwater founder, Erik Prince took part in a meeting with Russian officials. This meeting was secretly arranged by a Prince in the United Arab Emirates and took place on Seychelles island in the Indian Ocean, which is owned by the Arab Prince. When Erik Prince was confronted by this story and asked what the meeting was about he denied the meeting had anything to do with Trump. However, it cannot be a coincidence that Kushner requested a secret back channel of communication and months later this meeting takes place. And in case you didn’t know, Erik Prince is the brother of Trump’s know-nothing Secretary of Education Betsy Devos.
With all that said, I for one don’t believe for one second that all of this is coincidental – Kushner, Flynn and Sessions all just happened to forget that they met with Russians and all of them just happened to forget to document these meetings on discourse form; a secret meeting just happened to take place with the brother of Trump’s education secretary after Kushner recommended setting up a back channel. These events are not coincidental; they are indicative of the corruption and scandal which has plagued this administration from the beginning. Each day more and more evidence is leaked which is increasingly becoming too much for Trump supporters to continue to overlook. It’s time for people to face the facts and come to grips with the realization that we’ve all been duped by Russia and Trump is nothing more than their trophy of a job well done.