Message from Blogger:
In this era of “alternative facts” and intellectual deception, knowledge hub provides a platform for the dissemination of facts and the sharing of information. Fredrick Douglass once said, “knowledge makes a man unfit to be a slave”. In today’s society, whether we realize it or not, many of us are living in what I like to call “intellectual slavery” where undisputed factual information is replaced with hyperbole, conspiracy theories and “alternative facts”. The goal of those promoting these alternative facts is as followed:
1. To create confusion by accusing their opponents of engaging in activities that they themselves are engaged in. Example: The Trump campaign disseminated fake news throughout the election. To distract from that, Trump now accuses the mainstream media as disseminating fake news.
2. To brand factual information as being merely opinion in order to redefine our interpretation of facts.
3. To “muddy the water” and confuse people to the point of creating apathy or a feeling that no one can be trusted to provide true facts.
4. To discredit traditional news sources as being dishonest and untrustworthy in hopes that by doing so, they (the person sowing confusion) will become the only trusted source of information.
5. To deceive the public with lies and disinformation in order to achieve their own agenda.
“Intellectual slavery” occurs in a person who becomes susceptible to all of the above. No longer are you a freethinking individual, but instead a product of deception. Knowledge, however, prevents deception and is the antidote to oppression and manipulation.